Friday, June 19, 2009

Banana Leaf

woman w/ coconut

shrimp puffs

ginger chicken

calamari

salted fish, tofu and chicken casserole


Last week I put my Urban Spoon iPhone app to use. Scrolling through the different styles of food and Malaysian caught my eye. I have seen Anthony Bourdain in Malaysia, and other Travel Channel specials, but what is Malaysian food like, really? And what is it like in Houston?

Unfortunately, only a few places pop up in the Malaysian category in Houston. Whaaaa?!?! Banana Leaf was one of them. Coincidentally the Texas Monthly that my lady just purchased had a review of Banana Leaf as being one of the best new restaurants in Texas. I did not even hesitate. I called up my life-long friends, the Brown's, and set a date. We met in a ginormous strip center off of Bellaire at Beltway 8, right in the heart of Asia-town. I had half a seizure processing this place. It looks so unnatural. I associate Asian script with pictures I have seen of Korea, and of course in Lost in Translation. Combining the bright Korean and Chinese with the lifeless, concrete shopping centers that make up most of Houston, I got really messed up for a minute. I was dazed AND confused. McConaughey is great...

Inside, Banana Leaf is a charming little room with bamboo mat walls. There are 12-15 crammed tables, two sweaty servers and an exposed kitchen. There are many cooks in the back making sweet Indian pancakes, tossing them like pizza dough. Every now and then the charming, bald head-waiter quickly goes to the back, grabs a coconut and with one movement, chops the top off, stuffs in a straw and serves it fresh to his customers. This place is producing some of the best food I have eaten in this city. It is fresh, healthy and full of interesting flavors.

I had to go over the menu about six times. This thing is monstrous. It is a novella. Immediately I see that there were two dishes I HAD to get: the Banana Leaf House Special calamari and the shrimp puffs. The calamari... I can't even explain what is all going on in there. It hits so hard. The shrimp puffs are one of the reasons God gave us shrimp. It is minced shrimp, wrapped in bacon, and then deep fried. For my main I choose the salted fish, tofu and chicken casserole. The salted fish is very dominant. It is very salty, which I love, and the texture of the tofu adds a cool element. The Browns and I also share some curry chicken, which I enjoy, and some ginger chicken. For dessert we devour one of the Indian pancakes that is folded over with banana and butter inside of it. I can't wait to go back.


Banana Leaf Malaysian Cuisine
9889 Bellaire
Houston, TX 77036

P.S. Per Sam Brown, aloe juice and vodka martinis are popular in Korea, and they are good. I'm trying some this weekend.

1 comment: