Monday, January 4, 2010

PIZZA QUEST BACK ON: Pink's Pizza Montrose


What it do. I have been away from this for a bit. Not that anyone noticed probably, but I am back now. No need to explain that I lost focus and interest because I felt that my thoughts and feelings about food were of little significance...but I guess that is that.

Happy New Decade! This past New Year's weekend I unfortunately spent in a near drunken stupor/two-day, frat-douche keg party that my little brother threw...at our parent's house. Saturday morning I woke in a bed of self-loathing, and after a few hours showering off the filth of sour keg beer and disappointment, I decided that it was time to get back on track.

Forward motion.

Last summer a few friends of mine pleaded that I try Pink's Pizza for the quest. I heard of the place but never had tried it. I nearly forgot about it until later in the Fall a seven-foot, drunk, white guy at Cecil's Tavern screamed,"PINK'S!" at me for a good 15-20. It should be noted that this was the only English that he spoke to me that evening. He decided after meeting us that he would only speak in Spanish. I studied French.

With a slight hangover the day after New Year's, and a lust for grease and bread, I decided I had put Pink's off for too long. The lady and I stayed in our nighties and called for delivery. The menu is mouth watering and makes for a tough decision. We went with the Deuce: goat cheese, mozzarella, spinach, portobello mushrooms, roma tomatoes and garlic with a pesto sauce. I have recently found a new love for goat cheese, and I appreciated it even more with their pesto sauce, which wasn't too overwhelming nor oily. Another thumbs up goes to the mushrooms, which were cooked well enough so that there was a good flavor and aroma about them.

But unfortunately I have to say that this pizza was only just slightly above average. There were two problems I had: first, the crust was a little too soggy which if you have read past "pizza quest" entries you'd know that s*** don't fly with me; and second, the mozzarella was cooked for too long and it gave it a gummy, chewy bite to the pizza, which is something I expect from Domino's.

I am dedicated to try another one of Pink's pies, though, because I love that with only two locations withing a square mile of my place, it is like our own neighborhood pizza joint. But for now, I am still in the hunt, like a sexy lioness.



P.S. This year I have many personal culinary goals, including producing my own sausage, perfecting fried chicken, and working on Frexican food. If these things interest you, then please keep up.

2 comments:

  1. You Have Returned! BAM! I will pay attention..gdmit.

    Also, I believe to be getting closer to perfecting my Roasted Chicken specialty. Not any closer to making a great risotto consistently. And have gotten very very much better at making a passable Tortilla Soup.

    ReplyDelete