Sunday, January 17, 2010

Pizza Quest: Luigi's Pizzeria




Located in the shadows of midtown, Luigi's Pizzeria is currently the love of my pizza life. My lady and I met some friends and family in the small, cozy, building that is Luigi's this past Saturday night. The owner, Brad Ward, was leaning over the cash register with a confidence about him; it's like he knows that he is about to give me a pizzagasm. His Italian wife, whose presence is so comforting, like a sweet-smelling grandmother, instantly came rushing to us, pushing the small tables that her family was sitting at out of the way to accommodate us, because we are just as important to her.

I could go on and on about how much I love when families are involved with restaurants, and how I prefer those places to any other, but then you'd probably just stop reading it and call me a homo and stuff. So moving on...

Ward and wife have an excellent menu of specialty pies, which I intend on eating, but we decided to order a few custom pies topped with out favorites. To me, the true test is of a kitchen's ability to deliver a special order. If the cooks can adjust to a customer's desires, and still create an excellent dish consistently, that's when you know. Luigi's went beyond that. The pie I ordered was a large thin crust with feta, artichokes, garlic, and spinach. Without going into too much detail, every bite was flavorful, crunchy, cheesy...just really, really good. What made it even better was that Luigi's is BYOB/with no corking fees, and the beautiful regulation-sized bocce court, on which it appeared they spared no expense.

The pizza was great and the atmosphere is even better. When the weather gets a little better here in Houston I expect to be spending a lot of time at Luigi's out on the patio next to that bocce court.
Luigi's Pizzeria
3700 Almeda Road
Houston, TX
(281) 793-3333

2 comments: